Today is International Day of Persons with Disabilities. On this Day, the World Health Organization partners with organizations all over the world to call for action to achieve sustainable development goals for individuals with disabilities.
Today is also about promoting the rights and well-being of persons with disabilities. The World Health Organization joins the UN in observing this day each year, "reinforcing the importance of securing the rights of people with disabilities, so they can participate fully, equally and effectively in society with others, and face no barriers in all aspects of their lives."
Two ways to honor International Day of Persons with Disabilities:
1. Make a Pledge:
- Donate to Disability Charities
- Make a Public Statement of Support
2. Educate yourself:
-Search sites like the Special Olympics
- and the International Paralympic Committee
The annual observance of the International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPD) on 3 December was proclaimed in 1992 by the United Nations General Assembly resolution 47/3.
In 2022, The International Day of Persons with Disabilities theme was of "innovation and transformative solutions for inclusive development."
Facts Regarding Disability
- "There is a prevalent correlation between lesser-income societies and a greater prevalence of individuals with disabilities."
- The incidence of disability is lower among men.
- A number of studies show the age group of 10 to 19 has the highest prevalence of disability.
- At least one in every four twenty-year-olds is at risk of developing a disability.
A few more ways to acknowledge, promote kindness and honor International Day of Persons with Disabilities:
- Advocate for the rights of individuals with disabilities
Make a request to a local shop owner or store manager to implement them.
- Lend assistance and support
Deliver medication, drop off mail, or grocery shopping, or a meal.
Written and Submitted by GSSAgent#3013